Skip to main content

The World of Thinking Maps

Thinking maps!  When teaching, we want our students to think and understand what they are learning.  I haven't done thinking maps in a long time, but are extremely helpful.  Here are the thinking maps that can help change the way you teach and are found here Thinking Maps

  • Circle Maps-- used to define in context and help brainstorm, list, identify.
  • Bubble Map--As a teacher, you can use this when describing with adjectives or helping identify characteristics, properties, and qualities.  Since I'm getting my certification in English, I could see myself using this for a character in a story or a description of a literary genre I will be using such as a fairy tale, science-fiction, etc. 
  • Double bubble map--This is a great way to use comparing and contrasting!  You can analyze characters, objects, time periods, etc.  Here is an example below.
  • Tree map--This thinking map is great for classifying, categorizing, and grouping things!  
  • Flow map--The flow map is perfect for sequencing.  This works great for stages, order of events, and analyzing patterns.  See below for an example.  Now you'll remember to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or teach your kindergartners!

  • Multi-flow--This thinking map works for cause and effect, impacts and/or benefits, reasons and/or results.


  • The Brace Map--If you need a thinking map to help identify part/whole relationships, then this map is for you!  This helps to show physical components like the example below.  I could see myself using this.  

  • The Bridge Map-- To help see analogies, the bridge map is your best bet!  The bridge map helps connect related ideas and analogies.  I love the one below!

Aren't these thinking maps helpful?  They'll truly spice up your teaching.  I could definitely see myself using all of them.  I probably could see myself using tree maps, double bubble, bubble map, and bridge maps on a regular basis.  Which thinking map is your favorite?  







Comments

  1. You difinently will use thinking maps a lot more that what a person would acutally think. They are great tools, ones that are great for review and having students be able to learn, visually, what connects to each other and what does not. You did a great job of laying out how each one is used. the circle map is the one that I have a hard time uderstanding, not sure why though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I think I have to study that one out a little more. I think it is similar to the bubble map though. It's neat that each thinking map may not work for me, but it will work for someone else. It's nice to have choices!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you really outlined those thinking maps really well, and provided visuals to help understanding. I have not used hardly any of these strategies, but I do think they can be really helpful. I like your double-bubble map and your tree map illustrations you provided. I think those would work really well in those instances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I really love thinking maps :) Through out my education courses, I thought that teachers use graphic organizers or thinking maps to help struggling students. I was very wrong. They are beneficial for all students. As a future English teacher, I can easily see how to apply the thinking maps to various lessons. I think they would be most helpful in preparing for essay writing. As a class, we can complete the thinking maps. Students can then refer back to them as they begin their writing process. One great thinking map to use for this purpose is the flow map. It would help student sequence the events for their writing. I think this particular map is similar to a story board. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you included all the thinking maps; we talked about in class. In one of Professor Steffes' other classes I took; she introduced us to all the different thinking maps also. Before she introduced them; I truthfully thought there was only one kind of thinking map. The bubble map and maybe I had heard of the double bubble. Other than that the only one we ever used in grade school was the bubble map. So, as a starting map I can see this being used for practice. Then after that I think many other maps should be introduced and used. One of my favorites is the bridge map, especially for comparison or point of view activities. Next, I also like brace maps; I think they do a good job of breaking whole parts or things down for students. I think they can comprehend things easier this way. These are some of the things I think about the different thinking maps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that you gave a clear example of each and how you would use them in your classroom. I agree with you that it’s a great way to help students organize their thoughts and to me I feel like it’s very visually appealing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evaluating Instructional Materials

I've been thinking a lot about my lesson planning.  One of my lesson plans that I turned in this past week is geared toward 9th grade vocabulary based on "Romeo and Juliet."  I am going to use the Frayer Model model worksheet to help them with the vocabulary words.  I will have 10 words from one of the acts in "Romeo and Juliet" which are the following: grudge, civil, thrust, quarrel, brawl, disturb, ancient, canker, depart, and fray.  Each word on my lesson plan had an example of the vocabulary word in a sentence from "Romeo and Juliet."  Ex:  While we were interchanging thrusts and blows.... OBJECTIVE: Students will be able to define the chosen words and use it in a sentence from each act with 100% accuracy.  (Most likely be a 2 day lesson) I will have them use the vocabulary word in their own sentence.  For closure, I will use the 3-2-1 method (3 words they remember, 2 words they will tell their friends, and 1 word they will share ...

Lesson Plan Presentation Thoughts

I enjoyed listening to everyone's great ideas on their lesson plans.  I was very impressed!  By watching and listening to everyone's ideas, I was encouraged to be more creative.  I wish I could incorporate more fun activities like using Hershey bars (can't bring candy) and also adding more slides to my class lectures.  I did get some advice from my cooperating teacher and that is to save all your Google slides so that you could just change it up a little for next year.  Genius!  That will save us so much time if we're teaching the same grade level again.  Since I'm also teaching English, I did enjoy Lesli's presentation and her slides.  I loved her many visuals with the story map elements especially the rising action and falling action.  I will definitely incorporate that for my future lesson plans.  Thanks, Lesli!  I would possibly use something like the image below or separate slides for each element. Also, I was encouraged...