I've been thinking a lot about my lesson planning. One of my lesson plans that I turned in this past week is geared toward 9th grade vocabulary based on "Romeo and Juliet." I am going to use the Frayer Model model worksheet to help them with the vocabulary words.
I will have 10 words from one of the acts in "Romeo and Juliet" which are the following: grudge, civil, thrust, quarrel, brawl, disturb, ancient, canker, depart, and fray.
Each word on my lesson plan had an example of the vocabulary word in a sentence from "Romeo and Juliet." Ex: While we were interchanging thrusts and blows....
OBJECTIVE: Students will be able to define the chosen words and use it in a sentence from each act with 100% accuracy. (Most likely be a 2 day lesson)
I will have them use the vocabulary word in their own sentence. For closure, I will use the 3-2-1 method (3 words they remember, 2 words they will tell their friends, and 1 word they will share with their parent).
Will this activity work?
Here are some questions to evaluate the instructional materials:
1. Does it have accurate information? I believe so.
2. Does it meet my learning objectives? Yes.
3. Is it appropriate to the audience? Yes.
4. Interesting to the age group? I would think so. They can also draw in the Frayer Model.
5. Is it in good condition? Yes.
6. Does it employ creative thinking? I think it does because they have to put it in a sentence and also use the worksheet.
7. Is it motivating and engaging? Yes because they have a worksheet to follow, draw, and work with a partner if they need help.
What do you think? Do these instructional materials work? Any suggestions?
I will have 10 words from one of the acts in "Romeo and Juliet" which are the following: grudge, civil, thrust, quarrel, brawl, disturb, ancient, canker, depart, and fray.
Each word on my lesson plan had an example of the vocabulary word in a sentence from "Romeo and Juliet." Ex: While we were interchanging thrusts and blows....
OBJECTIVE: Students will be able to define the chosen words and use it in a sentence from each act with 100% accuracy. (Most likely be a 2 day lesson)
I will have them use the vocabulary word in their own sentence. For closure, I will use the 3-2-1 method (3 words they remember, 2 words they will tell their friends, and 1 word they will share with their parent).
Will this activity work?
Here are some questions to evaluate the instructional materials:
1. Does it have accurate information? I believe so.
2. Does it meet my learning objectives? Yes.
3. Is it appropriate to the audience? Yes.
4. Interesting to the age group? I would think so. They can also draw in the Frayer Model.
5. Is it in good condition? Yes.
6. Does it employ creative thinking? I think it does because they have to put it in a sentence and also use the worksheet.
7. Is it motivating and engaging? Yes because they have a worksheet to follow, draw, and work with a partner if they need help.
What do you think? Do these instructional materials work? Any suggestions?

I do think your activity would work and fits your objective. Would you have them first define it using their own words or the dictionary definition and then use it in a sentence?
ReplyDeleteI especially like your version of the 3-2-1. I like how this strategy is flexible and can be altered to fit your lesson.
Professor Steffens gave me the 3-2-1 idea! She is amazing!
DeleteI also believe you activity would be effective. I conducted a lesson one time using the frayer model and the three little pigs. I found a different version of the story from a perspective of william shakesphere and his vocbulary. I used this as an opportunity to compare our language from then to now, and allowed them to look up words they didn't know from William Shakesphere and find synonyms for those words and to write down the definitions of those words using a frayer model. It was really effective, but this was for 4th graders.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a fun activity to do with The Three Little Pigs. It would be a fun hook to use for ninth grade! Thanks for the idea.
DeleteI love your vocab and your 3-2-1, the only thing that really caught my attention, was the time frame. If this is all your are doing in 2 50 minute periods you may have a large amount of downtime. I think this is something you could easily do in one class setting. You could also have them use Google Slides to to have them do the fryer model on. The could even put the word on one slide then the 4 pieces of info they need on the next. When they go back later to study this, it will act as flashcards.
ReplyDeleteYou’re right. I was afraid I’d run out of time with students working together. I’d definitely use the same lesson for other acts in the story.
DeleteI can see where this might be a two day lesson; with all the vocabulary definitions and writing sentences for each act. I do like the activities with your lesson. However, I thought I would mention what a teacher had planned for her students to do with Romeo and Juliet. The activity was a worksheet with about 5 boxes in one column and 5 in the other. One column was for Romeo's comments and the other for Juliet's. The students were supposed to write a text "love notes"; of what they watched or read in the balcony scene of the story. It was really neat to read some of what they "texted" back and forth from Romeo to Juliet and visa versa.
ReplyDeleteWow! I think that this is a great idea! I love that you are using the Frayer map to introduce vocabulary from Romeo and Juliet! It's one of my favorite plays that I read in high school and feel that if a Frayer would've helped me discover these words and have a deeper understanding for them.
ReplyDelete